Elephant found dead in Tongod, poaching suspected

KOTA KINABALU: May 19, 2026

A male Bornean elephant was found dead with its tusks removed in the Sungai Pinangah Forest Reserve in Tongod, raising fears of wildlife crime and poaching activities in Sabah.

Tourism, Culture and Environment Minister Datuk Jafry Ariffin said he was deeply concerned and saddened over the discovery, describing it as a serious threat to the state’s biodiversity and conservation efforts.

According to a preliminary field inspection report by the Sabah Wildlife Department (SWD), the inspection was carried out on May 18 from 12.13pm to 3.30pm at the nursery forest area within the reserve.

The operation involved officers from the SWD, community rangers and the police.

The Kinabatangan Wildlife team reportedly received a complaint at about 8.25am on May 18 regarding a dead elephant suspected to be linked to wildlife crime.

Initial information indicated that estate workers in Tongod heard a loud explosion-like sound at about 5.30pm on May 17. However, heavy rainfall throughout the night prevented immediate inspection of the area.

The following morning at about 6.30am, the estate manager and staff members discovered the carcass of the elephant with parts of its head and tusks missing, believed to have been deliberately removed.

Preliminary examination showed the animal was believed to be a male Bornean elephant (Elephas maximus borneensis) measuring about 2.9 metres in height with a footprint size of 1.45 metres.

Investigators found that the elephant’s face and mouth had been cut in an L-shaped pattern using sharp tools, while the tusks were suspected to have been cut off. Cut marks were also detected on the head area.

No gunshot wounds were found on the body sections examined so far, although a full examination is still ongoing.

Jafry said heavy rainfall during the suspected time of the incident had also made it difficult for investigators to identify tracks and other evidence at the scene.

“The exact cause of death has yet to be determined and a post-mortem examination together with further investigations will now be carried out by SWD,” he said in a statement.

He stressed that if investigations confirmed poaching, illegal ivory removal or other wildlife offences, stern action must be taken against those responsible.

“The Bornean elephant is one of Sabah’s most iconic and protected wildlife species. Any act threatening its survival must be treated seriously,” he said.

Jafry said he had instructed SWD to intensify investigations, strengthen enforcement and patrol operations, continue cooperation with the police, and enhance monitoring in wildlife movement corridors and high-risk areas.

He also expressed appreciation to officers from SWD community rangers, police personnel and others involved in the immediate response and field investigation.

“The Tourism, Culture and Environment Ministry will not compromise on any form of wildlife crime and will continue strengthening cooperation with enforcement agencies and stakeholders to ensure stronger protection of Sabah’s iconic wildlife,” he said.

Members of the public with information related to the incident have been urged to come forward to assist investigations.

“We cannot allow Sabah to become a ground for wildlife crime. Every loss of a protected species is a loss to our natural heritage and the future of Sabah’s biodiversity,” he said.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.